What is records management?
According to the National Archives, one common definition of records management is “the field of management responsible for the systematic control of the creation, maintenance, use, and disposition of records.” Records management addresses the life cycle of records.
Records Management for Time Tracking
Records management of your Employee Time Tracking is an important function for all businesses. There are many different ways that businesses have been doing it. So what are the different options for you to manage your records?
- Onsite – This is where you handle the records internally at your facility.
- Offsite – This is where you hire a records management company to organize and store your records in a secure facility.
- Combination of both Onsite and Offsite – This is where you manage you records internally and do your archiving your records offsite.
- A Time Tracking management system – This is where you would have your records stored on a cloud storage system that allows you to access the records from your office over a secure internet connection.
Onsite or Offsite the same for both
Back when I had my first job the time tracking was done using paper time cards that we filled out or we punched in on a manual time clock. That still is an option today that is being used by many businesses especially when starting out. Paper time cards come with many disadvantages.
Paper time cards can be time consuming. The HR person would have the cumbersome job to manually calculate all the hours and minutes between the punches before they do the payroll. This is time consuming for HR especially if there are a lot of employees. If they are using time sheets that the employee fills out then they may have to check with the employee if it isn’t legible. Then they would need to organize and store them so they can find them later if needed.
Hard copies take up a lot of space
Every government entity requires businesses to maintain records for years. Keeping all those paper time cards or time sheets sure do take up a lot of space to store, especially if the company has been in business for many years or has many employees.
Easy Access and Sharing:
You may not realize it but unorganized filing systems take up a lot more space in your office. Think about the square footage that occupies your storage and filing in your office and the cost of that footage. Think you could make better use of that space?
Damaged, Lost or missing time cards
Paper time cards or sheets could be misplaced, lost or even damaged. There is nothing worse than you get an audit notice and you need to find 1 or more employee time cards and you find out that you cannot find them. Or you find out that there was a roof leak that destroyed many of your time sheets. This could be costly if you lose the audit.
If you have those records offsite then you would need to retrieve them. Depending on where they are stored it may take hours or days to get them.
Here is an interesting article that lists the costs for losing just one time sheet. How Much Does It Really Cost When You Lose a Document.
Hard to share the information
Paper time cards/time sheets are not easy to share. The HR person would need to find the correct sheets, make copies of them and then return them to storage. If multiple individuals need them then they would need to make more copies. To share them the HR person may have to manually deliver them or possible mail them through the postal system which takes time.
Paper time cards or time sheets are safe from hackers online but they are vulnerable to anyone that can access to your office. The amount of paper records most companies have on site make it easy for someone to take information from you without you even realizing it. If you have a lot of employees accessing your files is another potential risk.
Advantages of an Online Time Tracking System
Here are some of the reasons that an online time management system is becoming the way to go.
- Fast and easy retrieval – You can always access your time cards no matter where you are at if you have internet access. The time cards are grouped by the pay periods you selected and all the calculations are already there. This saves the HR person more time to do what else needs to be done. They are available to only the employees that need the access to view or modify them.
- Version control – Simplify edits and revisions because there is only one version of the time cards. So you know exactly what hours each employee worked. Once an edit is done then anyone that has access can view the change.
- Protect the Environment by reducing waste - Consider the following information about paper consumption from the Paperless Project.
- Make Sharing Easy – Anyone that has access can see the time cards. And if you have to give the information to some other entity you can email the information to them.
- Disaster recovery – Recently we had hurricanes that devastated many island in the Caribbean. If they relied on paper time cards then more than likely they lost all those records. But with Online Time Tracking their information is still available.
- Security – Digital time cards/sheets allow you to easily control who has access to those documents.
- Saves Office Space – You do not need to continually add filing cabinets to your office to store the paper time cards or time sheets. If you want to have a copy of your time cards you can download those in digital format to save on your computer or on an external hard drive with encryption.
How the Ontheclock.com time clock can help you with Time Tracking
Time Saving, Easy Access and Sharing
OnTheClock is an easy and simple time clock for you and your employees to use.
No software is needed to be installed on your computer. Just use your web browser.
We do have Android and IOS apps.
Employees can log in to punch in/out using any device connected to the internet. (Computer, tablet, laptop, or phone) Tablets and phones can either use the web browser or they can download our App on the device. They do not have the capability to edit their time cards unless you allow them to have that capability.
Administrators and manager can access their account anywhere and at anytime. They can review, edit and print time cards even if they are on vacation or out of the country for business. The can share the time cards with their bookkeeper by emailing them. No hard copy is required. You just click on the Email button, choose your options, put in the email address or addresses and click the Send Email button.
You can leave all your time cards online or you can download either PDF or CSV of your time cards. Either way you are not using physical space to store your time cards.
No damaged, lost or missing time cards
All your time cards are available online in our secure database for access when you need them.
All of our web pages are access by HTTPS. Hyper Text Transfer Protocol Secure (HTTPS) is the secure version of HTTP, the protocol over which data is sent between your browser and the website that you are connected to. The 'S' at the end of HTTPS stands for 'Secure'. It means all communications between your browser and the website are encrypted.
We have redundant servers that are in different locations. We have one in North Carolina and one in Canada. So if one server fails the other server continues to run the website.