Benefit to the OnTheClock User
PTO is the same as Paid Time Off. There are 4 categories of PTO available: Vacation, Holiday, Sick, and Personal. You may use all of these or some of these depending on your policy. If you would like to rename them to something that applies better to your policy, please see second section below. Give employees a set number of hours off, or let them accrue paid time off over a period of time, approve and track usage.
Jump to PTO Carryforward
Jump to renaming PTO categories
To Set Up Paid Time Off From a Browser
- Log in as the administrator.
- Click “Employees” at the top of the screen.
- Select the employee to adjust PTO.
- Click “PTO Settings”
- Select which to add, “VAC”, “SIC”, “HOL” or “PER”. Set up for all four is the same.
- Select in the drop down menu one of the below options.
Note the “Allot”/”Accrue” field changes depending on which option you choose. Enter either the hours given to the employee or the corresponding amount of hours to receive as they work based on your rule.
“Start Accruing On” may be any date, employee hire date or fiscal year for example.
“Stop Accruing On” could be a year, depending on your policy.
“Previous Balance” can be entered as total hours carrying over from the previous system or year, as a positive or negative number.
“Max Hours Per Year” limits the amount of accrued hours between start and stop dates.
- Allot X hours per year: Hours are given at the start of the period for the entire period.
- Accrue X hours per regular hour worked: Hours are given after each regular hour is worked at the end of the day. Does not give hours for overtime hours.
- Accrue X % of regular worked hours: % is given after each regular hour is worked at the end of the day. Does not give hours for overtime hours.
- Accrue X hours per pay period: Hours are given after a fully completed pay period. If the “Start Accruing On” date is in the middle of a pay period it will not accrue for that pay period.
- Accrue X hours per every hour worked: Hours are given after each hour is worked at the end of the day. Gives hours for the total of hours worked each day, including overtime hours. This works for the Mandatory California Sick Time requirement.
For more information:
- Is The New Unlimited PTO Format for You? Click here to go to our “Unlimited PTO: The Ultimate Guide” page, where you can review to see if you want to use the Unlimited PTO.
- Need Help Creating Your Paid Time Off Policy? Click here to go to our “How to Create A Paid Time Off Policy “page, where it will help you in creating your PTO policy.
To Carry Forward Balances for a New Year (see 4:13 in video)
- Log in as an administrator.
- Click on “PTO” at the top of the screen.
- Select “PTO Renewal”.
- Select whether you want to update the employees due “Now”, “Within 30 days” or if you want to see “(All) (All employees).”
- All of the options above work the same way to complete renewing PTO.
- Next, click the red buttons next to the employees to update, and turn them green.
- Then choose the "Proposed PTO Values for New Year". “Yes”, “No” or “Some Hours”. “Some Hours” will require you to enter a number.
- If you would like the employees to all be automatically “Yes” or “No” or “Some Hours”, click “Yes”, “No” or “Some Hours” nearest the heading "What is Your Policy for Carrying Forward Hours?" and you will see all of the checkboxes are highlighted at once making it quicker.
- Click the “Roll Forward PTO” button.
- Click the “Export PTO Balance” button to get a report to view.
- This will show the employee #, name, type of paid time off, the balance, how much was used, how much is left and the paid time off rule the employee is set for.
Rename Paid Time Off (PTO) or Other Time Card Headings (see 10:20 in video)
- Log in as the administrator.
- If the provided headings don’t fit your business need, you may rename by clicking “Settings” then select “Time Clock Settings”.
- Click the “Advanced Settings” Tab.
- Enter a different name in “New Name” for your viewing in “Time Cards”.
- Enter a different “Export Name” if you would like to change how it shows on reports to payroll.
- Click “Visible” from red to green for those you would like to see in the “Time Card” screen.
- Click “Save Settings” button.
Click on the Links Below for Other PTO Related Topics